Saturday, December 30, 2006

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Well, if I had any regular readers, they have by now given up on me, no doubt. That means I might be typing all this simply for my own enjoyment.... I'll take that risk, I guess.

It's Christmastime in Rome, and I was outside with a short-sleeved shirt on today. The weather has been unusually warm. Of course, most of the time I'm looking at it from inside the house, since I tend to stay in unless there's some specific reason to go into the city. I should think about changing that.

So most of the seminary has emptied out; everyone is traveling for Christmas. There are probably 10 of us left, doing various things. I am trying to get some schoolwork done so that I don't get slaughtered when the exam period comes along next month. Somehow, though, there always seems to be something else to do. I have gotten some reading done -- staying here hasn't been a waste.

I tried baking some bread the other day. Another flop. That's the fourth time I've tried it, and each time the rolls have come out differently. This time they hardly raised at all. Maybe there's something about Italian ingredients.

I went to Midnight Mass at St. Peter's, and helped with the distribution of Communion. So I had a great seat, and when it came time for the Eucharistic Prayer, I stood not far from the Pope himself. It was a good experience -- people at St. Peter's often tend to get pushy and rude when it comes time for Communion, but I didn't notice any of that among the people who received from me. I have yet to check the Vatican website for photos. There should be some good ones.

Yesterday was the 6-month mark: only 6 more months until my priestly ordination! Not only did it get me more excited for ordination, but it also reminded me how much I need to get done before then! Quite a bit.

I thought I'd be getting out of Rome for a few days during this break, but I don't think I will, unless I do a quick trip to someplace in Italy. I am, however, already planning a trip to Lourdes and Fatima for February 11 (Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes) to 18, which is the break inbetween semesters. It should be really nice.

I wish everyone out there a very wonderful Christmas season, and all the best in the year 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home