Playing Catch-up
So it has been two weeks since my last post. Sorry to keep you all waiting!
I guess I left off with the reception for the two new American cardinals. I ended up playing the piano (just background music -- nothing special) in the area where all the American cardinals were socializing, and then eating their lunch. Carl Anderson (Supreme Knight of the KC's) and his wife were there, as well as U.S. Embassador to the Holy See Francis Kelly. Of course, I can't talk and play at the same time, so I didn't have much conversation with anyone. Cardinal Egan of New York made a couple of inquiries about some of the sheet music I was using. Cardinal Baum of Washington, D.C. came up and thanked me for playing; he had been sitting across the room most of the afternoon chatting and listening. Several of the cardinals made polite comments as they were walking by, etc. To be honest, it felt kind of weird being in the same place as all these important figures. I did make an effort to meet Cardinal George of Chicago (former bishop of Yakima), since I have heard good things about him, and also since I figured he would probably know some St. Hilaires from his time spent in Yakima.
That pretty much brings that story to a close.
After that, I began working on a presentation I had to make for one of my classes the following Wednesday (almost a week ago now). The course is a seminar on the tomb of St. Peter, and the topic of my presentation was "The Construction of the Present Basilica." There was a lot of material to cover, and it took some long hours in the days leading up to the presentation, but in the end I guess it went alright. I didn't get much sleep the night before because I couldn't stop thinking about what I was going to say. I'm just glad it's over! If you're interested in learning about St. Peter's basilica (especially if you'll be visiting Rome soon!), here's an interesting website for you.
For the last week or two, my classmates and I have been going through the process of doing peer evaluations. Each seminarian names four other seminarians (one from each class) to evaluate him, and then the faculty members choose an additional four (one from each class). So (for those weak in math) eight peers evaluate each person. Evaluation consists of filling out a form, answering questions about the character, behavior, etc. of the seminarian in question. Then, we are highly encouraged to review the evaluations with the evaluees (if that's a word) before turning them over to the faculty. Further, we have to write a self-evaluation, examining various areas of formation (human, spiritual, intellectual, pastoral) and demonstrating readiness to proceed in seminary. At the end of this month and in early May, we will each sit before the entire faculty (except the spiritual directors) for a 30-minute "encounter." At that time the faculty will then consult with each other and make a recommendation that a seminarian be admitted to or withheld from Holy Orders.
So I have been working on peer evaluations and my self-evaluation for the last several days. I am hoping to finish the self-evaluation this afternoon, in fact.
Sunday evening, I went to St. Peter's Square to pray the rosary with the crowd gathered there on the first anniversary of John Paul II's death. The piazza was pretty full, but people were leaving plenty of space in between each other, so it really looked like a lot more people than were actually there.
The next day (yesterday), I went to St. Peter's again in the afternoon for Mass with Pope Benedict. I don't think there were as many people at the Mass as were at the rosary on Sunday evening. There was still a good showing, though. Maybe there were pictures in the newspapers? Probably not. The media seem to have forgotten about the Holy Father, ever since they caught on that he wasn't the cold-hearted snake of a pope that they thought he would be. Enough commentary...Well, that pretty well catches me up, I think. I'll try not to let so much time go by before my next post. Maybe there'll even be another one by the end of the week!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home